Thursday, March 2, 2017

Why Do We Write

I was contemplating on this recently, and I wasn't sure where and to whom I should pose the question. I'm curious as to other's answers but I also need to assess my own.

Why do I write?

I consider myself a fiction writer. I also consider myself not very good at it. So, really, why would I keep attempting?

If you take a quick glance at the distance between my posts (or have read the craziness contained within), attempting is a rather accurate description. Back to the "why" question. Or even more so "why are you starting again now, this time, each time..."

Clearly, I'm craving the attention.

This might be funny in the future when I've published real books, (that would be literal, as in a physical item) and/or gained monetary value, and/or have adoring fans who read and comment on my blog posts.

I know... it would help if I were consistent.

A dear friend of mine alluded that in times of crisis, we seek out the familiar. Writing has often been my safe place. I might have never had an audience, nor did I necessarily want one when writing teenage angst in a diary, but it was something that I had to do.  And I was certainly never consistent then as I have at least 5 journals all started, most with maybe 10 pages.

The need still applies. Why write? I need to.  I just fucking need to.

The stories in my head aren't always mine. They come to me asking to be scribed, and I can only hope I do them justice.

The joke about craving attention aside, and I've become more introverted in my increasing age, I can't ignore the fact that I do want an audience. The same dear friend mentioned above also had posted a meme in regards to that idea. The impatience of waiting for replies to a post. Luckily, the forum is a little busier than the blog.

Or to quote a Mary Lambert song "Girls like us are hardly ever wanted, you know. We're used up and we're sad and drunk and perpetually waiting by the phone for someone to pick up and tell us that we did good."

And so I'll be here waiting by the phone. If I'm lucky it will be a story coming in asking to be told or someone telling I told it well.

Hopefully it's not a creditor. I fucking hate those guys.

1 comment:

  1. Creators gotta create. Keep up the good fight. Artists can change the world.

    ReplyDelete