Monday, February 19, 2018

Episode 5 - Ranch Life

So to deviate from the regularly scheduled program, I wanted to take a moment to discuss a thing before I get into Episode 5.

You may have seen something about that incident of hate on various social media. As a producer of content, and as a person who abhors conflict in general, I tend to default to "stay the fuck out of it." It makes me sad, especially in a fandom that is super supportive, when non-supportive things happen. But my other default is I feel inadequate in expressing my feelings properly and more, the fear of expressing them incorrectly and being misinterpreted.  This incident seems to show what can happen when things are misinterpreted.

I don't deal well at all when I feel attacked.

And I don't want to be seen attacking others when I disagree with them, so I generally just don't disagree. If it is something I disagree with, I try not to agree either, which I understand is dumb because silence is often taken as agreement.

I know by typing this, I am opening myself up to some of that vitriol being directed towards me. But there comes a point when you do have to stand up for yourself and what you believe in.

If you personally attacked Ray Galletti about his #RayHaught comment, or support those that did, you can just leave. I don't need you to read my stuff, listen to the podcast, or support me. I'm okay with that. And don't call yourself an #Earper. GTFO.

I don't want to hear "everyone is entitled to their opinions." You are, and I'm entitled to think you are an asshole because of them. I doubt you will be reading past this (if you even made it here in the first place), but if you are please don't forget that what you are doing is going to ruin what is the most supportive cast I have ever seen. And frankly, we already have too many stupid rules and things ruined by some asshole that didn't have common decency. Honestly, a big part of my current employment is because people can't be trusted to do the right fucking thing.

I mean I could keep going, there are plenty terrible things in this world to rant about, but let us return to our regularly scheduled programming and talk about wonderful things.



01:02  Will we ever stop being in awe of our episode count when we record?  Actually, I think we didn't "wow" as much when we recorded earlier... But still paused when DW said the episode number.

03:12  Frankly, I never know what I'm saying.

05:31  Photographic Evidence (and yes this is from the scene mentioned at ~26:17 that inspired the fic)



10:25  I realize how it sounds when I ask questions like this. It really sounds like I have not read the fic at all. But I promise I have terrible memory so unless something sticks out like things that I connect with very personally, or DW reminds me (because frankly I had not remembered the "Haught-stuff / Boss" thing until she talked about it), then it just doesn't stick in my brain.

12:10  I have a story about "bodice ripper paperbacks" and why I know about them. It certainly wasn't because I read them. Actually, I was an asshole and would make fun of the girls who would read these things. I realize now what a dick move that was since I do read and write lesbian smut, but that is the thing about growing up, having these realizations. I had a few friends that would read these things. One friend (actually a friend of a friend who I hadn't known very well), had stayed with me a few nights at Uni waiting for our mutual friend to arrive. I had just arrived in Scotland at the time for grad school and she purchased so many souvenirs  that she had to leave behind a rather sizable stack of these paperbacks.  They stayed on my bookshelf for an entire year because who throws away books!  Then I had another friend visit towards the end of my schooling, and she was one I used to tease relentlessly about her paperback consumption, so I was able to pawn them off on her. I'm fairly certain I was so embarrassed by them that even though I kept them on my bookshelf, the spines were not facing out.

14:44  Only 25 acres. The thing about the cow farm I grew up on, is the land was not well suited for growing much of anything. I've picked a lot of rocks actually, so we grow rocks really well. And cheatgrass. But alfalfa or pasture grass? Nope. Especially not without an adequate irrigation system, which was expensive and we did not have. I also dug a lot of ditch growing up.

15:54  I think when my siblings and I were younger, naming cows was fun. My eldest brother went for the more absurd, like Space Cowboy. I apparently had a thing for TV even back then, as I named one after Blossom, and then her first calf was named Six (of course).  We did eventually start naming them after people.  Actually, the very first bull was named George after my grandfather, so it had always been that way I guess. But my favorite story to tell is we named a cow after Grandma and then proceeded to name her calves after my Aunts and Uncles in order.  Calf number 3, being named after my father, was a female. So we weren't picky about gendered names.

19:26  Chrissy gets mentioned a lot as being a great side character.  I guess a way to win hearts is put Chrissy in your fic and make her a likeable character?

23:02  DW mentioned I was traveling. My wife and I were making our way to California where I now live and work. I had hoped we would be stopped at the right time of day to get in on the recording session but we had not. Again thanks Laragh for stepping in and asking my questions for me.

28:15  Speaking of questions. Cuffs did a great job answering them. And I really like how what DW and I had assumed was personal experience on a ranch was actually just a good job at research.  Granted, she did have what sounds like good experience growing up in a rural area and having worked with horses. I can see how that influenced the writing.

As a side note, for those of you wondering about branding. My family did not brand and I have no personal experience with it. We were too small of an operation to do so. We did ear tag because they did have to be identified in some way. Actually to go back to naming cows, my mother knew them by their names, my father knew them by their numbers.  If people are wondering why do such horrible things in the first place, let me tell you about a story when Lucado of the Livestock Board investigated my parents for stealing cows. I'm joking about Lucado of course, but I'm serious about the investigation.  My parents had taken a couple of cows to the sale. It was a new sale yard, as the usual (and closer) one in our county had closed down.  Someone at the sale yard had presented the cows out of order so what was listed as our cow was a branded cow that was not ours. Having a brand (that is not yours) on a cow that is not supposed to be branded is a big fucking deal. The error was finally realised and my parents are cleared but it was stressful.  So I don't know if that makes anyone feel better about ranch life and marking animals, but it helps to have things clearly identified when you are selling things in the quality of hundreds for thousands of dollars. And you might not think "cattle rustling" is still a thing like it was in the old west, but it still occurs. Just think about stolen pure-bred puppies resold on craigslist, only on a much larger scale.

30:24  I'm glad Cuffs thought I had a good question, and again I appreciate Laragh asking it for me. And I'm glad there was a story there!

33:58  Beyond happy that the door is not closed on more fics from this AU.

45:30  Actually I think this was one of the first fics I read in the fandom too, likely the first or second multi-chapter I read because it was complete.

48:25  Shout-out to Live Journal.  I learned about it and NaNoWriMo from that straight girl I was in love with. This was the around the same time I learned about fan fiction and became a Kitten so, it brings back lots of memories and feels (especially feels about coming out to myself).

Behind-the-scenes:  So despite the technical difficulties I had encountered in the first few episodes, the first segment on this episode was the first time we had to fully re-record because my computer crashed and the audio did not download. Not sure if DW would want me to tell you this but I like sharing these little secrets with you all.

I'm glad you all seem to be liking it, and are all still listening and following and tweeting at us.  Earpers really are THE BEST.

No comments:

Post a Comment